Thursday 30 March 2017

New World: Rising

By Jennifer Wilson

I really enjoyed this book. I’ve had it on my kindle for a while and can’t believe I haven’t read it sooner. There are a few similarities to other dystopian novels such as Divergent, The Hunger Games and the Moon Dwellers Saga – all of which I loved – but New World: Rising still manages to stand strong on its own.

I loved the characters in the book. The main character, Phoenix, annoyed me a little bit however as she constantly moans about how she is not good enough for anyone, but other than that I did really like her. The romance in the book was done nicely as well; there was no annoying love triangle that we see in so many novels.

I also really loved the world that Jennifer Wilson built, both inside the wall and outside. One thing that did irk me a little was that I would have liked for it to have been explored a bit more, with most of the novel being set somewhere safe from those locations. Hopefully this can be done in future books in the series. 

The ending of the book was done really well and was a good set up for the rest of the series. I will definitely be picking up book 2!

Date read: December 2016
Rating: 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Night Book

By Richard Madeley I didn't expect to enjoy this at all but I was pleasantly surprised!  Despite having read a review with spoilers ...