Thursday 11 May 2017

Say Her Name

By James Dawson

I really didn't think I was going to enjoy this.  I'm not sure how long I've had it on my kindle, but I was stuck for something to read and this was the only thing that caught my eye.  Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it!

Everyone in the UK knows the story of Bloody Mary.  Say her name five times in front of a mirror and she will appear and try to kill you.  Bobbie and two others are dared to do so - thinking it's all just a joke.  Nothing happens, or does it?  The morning after Bobbie finds a message on the bathroom mirror: "FIVE DAYS".  She and her friends are now on a race against time before Mary comes for them, as she has done for countless others...

I loved the setting.  Set in the real world, in a boarding school for girls, there was a real sense of mystery with all the secret passages.  The parts of the book involving Mary were REALLY creepy - think of the grudge crawling out of a mirror at every chance they could get.  Mary's backstory was quite interesting, and I couldn't really work out why she was haunting everyone who had summoned her.  Once her character is explored, you find this out.  Even the parts of the book where she was alive, she seemed really creepy. 

I loved all the other characters.  Bobbie was a strong female who was determined not to give up, and wanted answers.  Her love interest, Caine, was likeable.  Whilst there was a little bit of romance, it wasn't a huge part in the story.  I was so glad of this - I'm not really a person who looks for romance in a book.  Her best friend, Naya, was really likeable too.  She was so funny at points, always making jokes despite their predicament.  I thought the other characters, like Grace and Caitlin were a bit cliché at first, sucking up to the teachers and Grace in particular revelling in her power as head girl, but then I suppose that every school has people like this.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't the best book in the world, but it is really entertaining.  Far-fetched and exciting, there were no parts of it where I was bored.  The descriptions of things and people aren't that detailed, but this is something I don't mind as I was able to imagine them however I wanted.  I don't actually think I've read a book before that has given me the heebie-jeebies as much as this has.

All in all, a good, quick and easy read.  I will definitely check out more by the author. 

Rating: 8/10
Date read: May 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Night Book

By Richard Madeley I didn't expect to enjoy this at all but I was pleasantly surprised!  Despite having read a review with spoilers ...