Thursday 30 March 2017

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3)

By Suzanne Collins

***MINOR SPOILER ALERT***
I read this for the first time about five years ago and thought it was a really weak ending to the Hunger Games series. I decided to reread the series but wasn't particularly looking forward to reading Mockingjay again as I knew how bad it was compared to the first two books.

However, I did enjoy it a lot more second time round but I still don't think it's perfect. Katniss still annoyed me for the majority of the book. In the first two I really rooted for her and she was such a strong character, but in this one all she does is moan and is so much more stubborn. I get that she had been through a lot but she was like a completely different character from the Hunger Games and Catching Fire.


I hated the ending first time round but thought it was actually really well done this time. I still thought it was a bit rushed but the whole drama with President Snow and Coin was done really well. The epilogue is still awful - think of the one at the end of the last Harry Potter but with less detail and a quarter of the length and you have the epilogue from Mockingjay. It was so rushed.



Although I think Suzanne Collins could have spent more time tying up a few loose ends that were left unresolved, I do think Mockingjay is a satisfying end to the series.

Date read: March 2017.
Rating: 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Night Book

By Richard Madeley I didn't expect to enjoy this at all but I was pleasantly surprised!  Despite having read a review with spoilers ...