Thursday 30 March 2017

Scythe (Arc of a Scythe #1)

By Neal Shusterman

I really enjoyed this book, but it wasn't as good as Neal Shusterman's other series, Unwind.  For the first few chapters, I thought it was going to be really similar to Unwind, but it ended up going in a completely different direction.  There wasn't any major villains in the book, and the villains that were there weren't that threatening, which made the majority of the book very slow paced.  Having said that, it was never really boring.

The "romance" between the two main characters was not weird exactly but a bit unbelievable.  It just seemed to spring up out of nowhere and wasn't that well developed.  I did like that it was very minor, however, and that the book did not revolve around it.

I thought that the world building was quite good - something I think Shusterman is consistently good at.  It really made you think what would happen if humans managed to actually conquer death and people could wake up completely fine a few days after sustaining a major injury.  I also found it interesting that everything in the world had been learned about and that there was nothing else to be discovered.  I did think that some details were a bit vague - not much detail is given about the levels of technology the world had and I would have liked to find out more about the Thunderhead.

Towards the end of the book, I didn't really see how this would work as a series but the last few chapters set things up really nicely and so I would definitely read more.

Date read: January 2017
Rating: 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Night Book

By Richard Madeley I didn't expect to enjoy this at all but I was pleasantly surprised!  Despite having read a review with spoilers ...