Wednesday 31 May 2017

Enders (Starters #2)

By Lissa Price

"Trust no one but yourself, and then question that".

I am so conflicted on this.  I loved the first book - it's one of my favourites ever - but I really don't know about this one.  On one hand I think it's awful and on another I think it's actually a very satisfying sequel.

With the body bank finally shut down, Callie thinks that she and her brother will be able to live their lives in their new home.  But people are after her, eager to experiment on her because of the chip left in her brain.  When she starts hearing the voice of the Old Man in her head, Callie is determined to find out who he really is.  And when she starts to hear her father's voice in her head, her life is thrust into turmoil.  Is he really dead?  Who is real and who is masquerading in a teen body?

There are a few new characters in this book that weren't in the first one, namely Hyden. He was likeable enough, but when Callie started to get feelings for him, I couldn't help but yawn.  Now we have a love square - is that even what you'd call it? - her, Blake, Michael and now Hyden.  Really, Callie?  I don't want to give away anything but there's a nice little twist towards the end that put this love square into perspective and explained it all.  With it now making sense, I thought that the whole plotline regarding her feelings for all three was done incredibly.  I really didn't see what was coming, and so I felt bad for judging her throughout the whole book.

I wish that the headmistress of Institution 37 had a bigger part in the book.  Whilst the Old Man was creepy, she was just terrifying.  

I didn't enjoy the setting as much as the first book.  I felt that the descriptions in the first book were better, as was the plot.  Starters was very fast paced and exciting, but Enders just wasn't.  Nothing really happened in the first 90% of the book.  The last 10% was definitely the best part, although I thought it was a little rushed.  I wish Lissa Price had spent more time drawing it out a little longer and making it more exciting, and giving us more on the big reveal at the end.  

I'm not saying Callie's dad is actually alive, you'll have to read it yourself to find out.  Why would she assume he was dead in the first place though?  It really was not clear throughout the book whether it actually was his voice Callie was hearing or whether it was just the Old Man up to his old tricks.  

The book did end nicely but as I said, it was a bit rushed.  I didn't think the book was bad, it just wasn't great either.  I actually thought at times it was like a different author had wrote this and Starters, they were so different.  

Date read: May 2017
Rating 6/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Night Book

By Richard Madeley I didn't expect to enjoy this at all but I was pleasantly surprised!  Despite having read a review with spoilers ...