Sunday 28 May 2017

Starters (Starters, #1)

By Lissa Price


I think this is my favourite YA book ever.  I don't understand why it hasn't got more attention because it sure as hell deserves it!!!!  I've read it three times now and loved it every single time.

Starters is set in a futuristic Los Angeles, in the aftermath of a devastating war.  The only people alive are those below the age of 20 (the Starters) and over the age of 60 (the Enders), who were the only ones vaccinated against the spores released in the war.  The Enders rule the roost, with none of the Starters being allowed jobs.  This results in our main character, Callie, who lives on the streets with her brother Tyler, to turn to Prime Destinations, a company which will rent out her body to Enders seeking to relive their youth.  But when her microchip malfunctions and she wakes up before the rental is over, she quickly discovers that her renter has planned to use her body to do something she never would have imagined...

If I'm honest, if I had known this book contained a love triangle I would probably have avoided it.  Anyone who has read my other reviews will know how much I DESPISE them.  Having said that, I really didn't mind it in this book.  The characters and story were written so well, it actually added to the plot rather than being an annoying trend.  Callie was wonderfully written; she's probably my favourite protagonist in any YA book I've ever read.  She's so determined to help her brother and friend Michael that she would do anything for them, including renting out her body.  Her relationship with both was very believable, particularly with Tyler, with her protective instinct always being at the forefront of her personality.  The villains in the book all gave me the creeps - particularly the Old Man.  In fact, the whole aspect of renting out a body to some random old person gave me the creeps.  Imagine getting put to sleep knowing that someone is going to be living inside your body for a month!!!

The world building was done really well I thought.   I managed to visualise an LA in the aftermath of a war very clearly.   The only thing I would have said could have been improved was the background into the war like what caused it and what happened elsewhere in the world, but all in all it was done really well.

There's a nice little plot twist at the end that I didn't see coming.  Like many other parts of the book, this was very creepy and seemed so cruel after everything Callie had been through.  The ending sets things up nicely for the sequel. 

I'm planning on rereading the sequel next.  I can't remember exactly what happens but I'm really looking forward to reading it again.  If you haven't read this book and love dystopian novels, pick it up now! I've read a few and in my opinion this is the best of the lot.  The book deserves so much more attention.

Rating: 10/10
Date read: May 2017 (third read).

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Night Book

By Richard Madeley I didn't expect to enjoy this at all but I was pleasantly surprised!  Despite having read a review with spoilers ...